Sunday, September 5, 2010

One week down, 27ish to go...

The kids and I just wrapped up our first week with Marc gone and I am pleased to report that we are doing well. As expected, the first day or two following Marc's deployment were rough, but with each day the knot in my stomach lessened and the kids and I quickly found a new rhythm with hopes of finding comfort in what our new "normal" will be for a while. 
The morning Marc left the kids and I began our first dip into our "Daddy Kisses" jar. Now, each day begins with a kiss from Daddy for each of us.
I received a brief email from Marc while he awaited a flight to head in-country last Tuesday. He sounded good, but homesick. It is my understanding he has arrived in Afghanistan now and is keeping busy with 1/8's relief in place. The kids and I are hoping we might get our first phone call from him soon, as it would be so encouraging to hear his voice. For now, I am in full-out deployment mode (all of my military friends will know exactly what this is) and eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom with my cell clutched in my hand, waiting for his call.

Gracie started gymnastics on Wednesday and did SO well!! While I am disappointed in myself for forgetting the memory card for my camera, I was able to snap a quick photo of her when we got home.

I have been so overwhelmed by prayers, support and encouragement from friends and family near and far. There is one thing I know for sure: We are beyond blessed to be a part of this Marine Corps community. Throughout the week I had friends surprise me with flowers, balloons, notes, baked goods, CD's and even a care package for the kids and I. It has been amazing to watch God use others to be of encouragement to us! 

The kids were so excited to find their Daddy Dolls had arrived last week. While Liam really only cares to sleep with his, Gracie is very much attached to hers and it truly seems to be a great source of comfort.




1 comment:

jesslynlowe said...

Just wanted you to know that Austin told me he has really enjoyed hangin around Marc over there. He likes him a lot :) we're ordering our daddy dolls this week for the two little dudes and after seeing yalls, I'm super excited to get ours!!!